Tuesday, July 13, 2010

099.



I often come across new and unusual things. 
Whether it be products I get sent
or random facts. 

I adore learning new things, 
and I thought you might too! 
So I figured I had to share :)
(maybe I should start a series - thoughts?)


So today's subject is Halva. 

What is it?
According to Wikipedia Halva refers to many types of dense, sweet confections served across the Indian Subcontinent, Central Asia, West Asia, North Africa, The Horn of Africa, The Balkans and the Jewish World.
So it's a type of dessert/confection - right? 
The world halawa in Arabic means 'sweetness' while the word halwa means sweets or candy
Tahin Helvasi refers to crushed sesame seeds (tahin)
The Halva I received from Turkish Store is Pistachio Halva (as you can see from the picture above)

What does it taste like?
Unsure of what I was tasting, I cut a tiny slither off one of the slices of Halva and put it in my mouth..
First I got the extreme nutty flavour - Almost like a nut butter
and then the Halva melted away in my mouth. 
I was expecting more of a nougat type of texture, but what I got was more of a marshmallowy texture, however, the outer edge of the halva was quite chewy - (yum!)
The halva itself was incredibly oily - I'm guessing from the nuts.

What do I do with it?
I guess the easy answer is EAT IT! 
But after googling for a while I've seen suggestions of putting it on bread, having it with coffee like a biscuit, spreading it on biscuits etcetc.
I also saw recipes for halva cupcakes but I could see it as an addition to ice cream (yes, I'm obsessed - I think this is where the halva will end up) or maybe as a garnish for a cake - Anything that lends itself to nutty flavours really.
Maybe you could put it in a cookie!

Where can I get it?
Of course if you're in Australia, I'd say head to Turkish Store
which is where I was sent the Halva from.  
Otherwise maybe have a look at your local Turkish Supermarket/store.
Or you could make it yourself!

 


Now, Share with me... 
Have you ever had Halva?
What do you think I should do with it?

and What do you think about a series of these posts? Yay or Nay?
Kristy received this Halva courtesy of www.turkishstore.com.au
If you'd like a review of your products, send an email to ksayerphotography@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had Halva before but my immediate thought when I saw your picture was that needs to be spread on crusty bread!

    I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely does look like that!
    I might have to go out and buy some fresh bread tomorrow

    ReplyDelete